- December 27, 2022 – Comments due
The proposed ASU would require joint ventures to:
- Recognize a new basis of accounting for contributed net assets as of the formation date.
- Measure the contributed identifiable net assets at fair value on the formation date using the business combination guidance in ASC 805-20 – with certain exceptions – regardless of whether an investor contributes a business.
- Measure the net assets’ fair value based on 100% of the JV’s equity immediately following formation.
- Record goodwill (or an equity adjustment, if negative) for the difference between the fair value of the JV’s equity and its net assets.
- Provide disclosures about the nature and financial effect of the formation transaction.
The proposed ASU would allow existing JVs to apply the guidance retrospectively.
- Source and applicability
- Fast facts, impacts, actions
- A new basis of accounting
- Effective dates and transition